About Speck Design
Speck Design creates product experiences. Speck Design is a team of strategists, designers, and makers who have been helping companies identify and create new and better products for 20 years. Clients including Google, Samsung, Audi, and Silicon Valley’s leading start-ups come to Speck when they want to create innovative products and need a team who is able to conduct generative research, apply world-class design, and engineer for manufacturing all under one roof. We’re driven to design products that elevate our humanity and look to work with companies who have like-minded aspirations. By bringing together FutureBrand’s ability to create forward thinking brand strategies and Speck’s ability to design next generation products and services, the combined team brings its clients' brands to life in a way that is both timely and authentic.
Speck Design is looking for a talented design researcher to join our Strategy & Insights team. Our work involves carefully observing and understanding people, uncovering unique and actionable insights, and supporting the design of engaging user experiences. If you have a passion for learning what makes people tick, can think visually, and combine creativity and rigor, we’d like to hear from you.
Desired Skills & Experience
Candidates for this position are curious, open, empathetic, collaborative, creative, and organized. You know design thinking and have design research skills. You know how to unpack a research problem, design good research, plan ahead, execute projects flawlessly, and uncover the insights that inform business strategy and product design.
- Ability to design research programs that meet client’s needs for customer input to inform business decisions
- Knowledge of research approaches, and ability to fit the right tool to the right problem, or to triangulate approaches
- Ability to visualize and implement a research plan that delivers results on time and on budget
- Ability to conduct qualitative and ethnographic interviews with empathy and understanding of what makes people tick
- Ability to synthesize complex data into elegant insights
- Ability to write well, communicate clearly, and develop frameworks
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
Strong communication and writing skills, sincerity, and a sense of humor are key in our highly collaborative approach. You must also be comfortable with ambiguity in the face of design challenges and know how to help a team move toward the right solution together.
- 5+ years of professional experience in the design/research sphere on the consulting or client side
- Master’s degree in design, anthropology, marketing or related fields
- A portfolio of work that shows depth of thinking and solutions
- Extreme empathy for user needs and ability to connect with people
- Strong orientation towards simplicity, clarity and usability
- Strong written and visual communication skills
- Comfortable participating in early-phase research, strategy and ideation
These are the words we have heard from our team:
Innovation at the intersection of technology and humanity. Creative Abundance. Relentless integrity. Diverse everything – from people to thinking. Kind and effective – imagine that. Wicked smart. Passionately passionate. So funny I spit out of my nose at happy hour. Results driven – which says a lot in the innovation business. Happy.
Come to Speck Design to do the best work of your life.
Please mail your resume to email@example.com with your job title and role you're applying for in the email subject line.