About Speck Design
We are a multidisciplinary and dynamic team with the goal to envision and design products that will impact millions. To that end, we are assembling the top Designers, Engineers, Strategists and Design Researchers to create a more positive future for people and our clients. If you live and breathe design, if you research, invent, and design high value experiences with passion and method, this might be right for you.
If you are a systems thinker and consider high-level product vision by understanding constraints and love building a fantastic customer experience, then you’ll enjoy how we work at Speck Design.
If you communicate visually and can express your ideas with skill and grace whether standing at a whiteboard, drawing on a napkin, or presenting on screen - this could be the right design environment for you.
The Speck Design team understands that building proofs of concept and iterating helps us explore, fail and learn quickly. We work at varying levels of fidelity and are always interested in trying new tools and methods. We encourage flexibility in your approach to design.
Speck will consider candidates requiring relocation, however the candidate will be responsible for their own in-person interview travel costs and all relocation costs.
The position offered is that of Senior Mechanical Engineer working in a product design consultancy. You will have a unique opportunity to participate as a technology leader in decisions affecting product design from concept through production. You must be a top-notch mechanical engineer who will provide product design insight independently to design products for a variety of clients. You should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, superior creative and innovative ability supported by a broad knowledge and skill base, and a proven track record of successful design execution, both as an individual contributor and as project lead.
This position requires the ability to work proactively and independently while interacting with the client, vendors, management, and other employees. Self-starting and self-management abilities are critical, as is the ability to understand the full picture of product development. Efficient use of time is critical to maintaining our clients’ aggressive schedules.
- Engineering development of a variety of products - including requirements gathering, concept generation, detailed design, analysis & verification testing, cross-functional reviews and manufacturing release.
- Develop and execute designs for complex products backed by thorough engineering analysis.
- Identify and scope projects around innovation opportunities as well as technology risks.
- Be a technical resource in multiple areas of product design.
- Understand, dissect, and solve complex design challenges, both independently and as a senior member of a design team.
- Organize time, work efficiently, and meet aggressive project development schedules.
- Knowledge of design requirements and practices for a variety of manufacturing processes including injection-molded plastics, formed and stamped sheet metal, elastomers, castings, extrusions, controls, welding, adhesives, finishes, etc.
- Creative design of parts and assemblies, supported by knowledge of materials and processes, to meet challenging technical requirements.
- Efficient and appropriate use of design tools including hand sketches, spreadsheets, solid modeling software, workshop tools, catalog suppliers, rapid prototype technologies, and testing methodologies to conceptualize, design, prototype, and document the mechanical designs of parts and assemblies.
- A BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 6 years’ experience preferably in a design consultancy.
- 10 years professional experience if no previous consultancy practice.
- Extensive experience in designing complex mechanical systems and assemblies.
- Excellent facility with 3D CAD systems. Solidworks experience required, Pro/Engineer a strong plus.
- Well versed in core mechanical engineering analytical skills with an expert understanding of mechanical tolerances and ability to perform detailed tolerance loop analysis.
- Superior communication skills including written, oral, and graphic presentation.
- Awesome analytical and organizational skills; ability and commitment to produce timely and highly accurate work.
- Fluency with Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is required.
- Experience with and knowledge of manufacturing processes and design considerations for molded part, sheet metal, and castings is required.
- Project management experience a strong plus - coordinating project activities, client interface, project budget, and schedule.
- Preferred experience with structural and thermal analysis techniques for small to large electronics packaging systems (Flotherm and Mechanica experience a strong plus).
Come to Speck Design to do the best work of your life.
Please mail your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your job title and role you're applying for in the email subject line.