About Speck Design
We are a multidisciplinary and dynamic team with the goal to envision and design products that will impact millions. To that end, we are assembling the top Designers, Engineers, Strategists and Design Researchers to create a more positive future for people and our clients. If you live and breathe design, if you research, invent, and design high-value experiences with passion and method, this might be right for you.
If you are a systems thinker and consider high-level product vision by understanding constraints and love building a fantastic customer experience, then you’ll enjoy how we work at Speck Design.
If you communicate visually and can express your ideas with skill and grace whether standing at a whiteboard, drawing on a napkin, or presenting on screen - this could be the right design environment for you.
The Speck Design team understands that building proofs of concept and iterating helps us explore, fail and learn quickly. We work at varying levels of fidelity and are always interested in trying new tools and methods. We encourage flexibility in your approach to design.
Speck will consider candidates requiring relocation, however, the candidate will be responsible for their own in-person interview travel costs and all relocation costs.
The position offered is that of Full Stack Software Engineer working at Speck Design. You will have a unique opportunity to participate as a technology leader in decisions affecting product design from concept through production. You must be a topnotch software engineer who will provide product design insight independently to design products for a variety of clients. You should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, superior creative and innovative ability supported by a broad knowledge and skill base, and a proven track record of successful design execution, both as an individual contributor and as project lead. Practical engineering experience is required in two or more of the following areas:
- IOT embedded software development
- Front end/backend software development
- Data processing and scripting in Python, R
This position requires the ability to work proactively and independently while interacting with the client, vendors, management, and other employees. Self-starting and self-management abilities are critical, as is the ability to understand the full picture of product development. Efficient use of time is critical to maintaining our clients’ aggressive schedules.
- Engineering development of a variety of products including requirements gathering, concept generation, detailed design, analysis & verification testing, cross-functional reviews and manufacturing release.
- Provide project leadership for technical and nontechnical personnel.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior staff.
- Develop and execute designs for complex products backed by thorough engineering analysis.
- Identify and scope projects around innovation opportunities as well as technology risks.
- Be a technical resource in multiple areas of product design.
- Understand, dissect, and solve complex design challenges, both independently and as a senior member of a design team.
- Organize time, work efficiently, and meet aggressive project development schedules.
- Creative design of parts and assemblies, supported by knowledge of materials and processes, to meet challenging technical requirements.
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Promote a culture of excellence by delivering a high-quality client experience.
- Must be curious and passionate – sense of humor is also a must!
- A BS/MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years’ experience, with depth in one or more of the following areas:
- Design Consultancy experience
- Medical device development
- Electromechanical packaging
- High volume consumer product development
- Mechatronics and Robotics
- +5 years experience in coding C/C++ and/or Java
- +3 years experience in shell and Python scripting
- Superior communication skills including written, oral, and graphic presentation.
- Knowledge of design requirements and practices for software development from requirements, development architecture, source version control, SQA, and production deployment
- Awesome analytical and organizational skills; ability and commitment to produce timely and highly accurate work.
- Fluency with Outlook, Excel, Word, MS Project and PowerPoint is required.
- Experience coordinating project activities, client interface, project budget, and schedule.
What is Speck Design like?
These are the words we have heard from our team:
Innovation at the intersection of technology and humanity. Creative Abundance. Relentless integrity. Diverse everything - from people to thinking. Kind and effective – imagine that. Wicked smart. Passionately passionate. So funny I spit out of my nose at happy hour. Results driven – which says a lot in the innovation business. Happy.
Come to Speck Design to do the best work of your life.
Please mail your resume to email@example.com with your job title and role you're applying for in the email subject line.